Friday, November 11, 2011

Thank you Veterans!

This nation makes me proud. We have a colorful history, sometimes peaceful, other times bloody. One tradition that has always stood the test of time are those who answered the call to serve their nation and sacrifice time, family, indeed sometimes their very lives. They froze in rags on Valley Forge with the hopes of freedom. They fought for personal beliefs during our Civil War. Each of them slogged through the mud and blood of the trenches during WWI. During WWII so many gave their lives across the world by cannon and fire. During Korea they held the Pusan Perimeter. In Viet Nam, Soldiers fought even when many in their nation hated them for doing what their government ordered. Desert Storm, Mogadishu, Iraq and Afghanistan. The finest men and women who stand up to fight at their Country's behest give everything they got every day.

It is about sacrifice. It is about pride. But when Soldier's are getting shot at, bombed and bleeding, it's about their brotherhood. Countries don't matter at that point, only that guy or gal to your left and right. A Soldier doesn't charge a hill for glory, but only in hopes to finish the job and get back home. Soldiers are both boistrous and humble at the same time. Bravado takes the stress away and get them ready to do their job. But when you HONESTLY tell them thank you and let them know how important they are, most times they kinda get shy. Most times they get a little quiet and maybe remember a Brother or Sister they lost.


So for all that have served through out the years in times of war and in times of peace. My deepest thanks. I especially thank those older guys from WWII through Viet Nam. You are a dieing breed, but one I looked up to as a child and still do so some 40 years later. You all were my mentors that shaped me into who I am today. After 15 years in the Army, 4 tours in the Middle East, I still look back to those who marched the grounds long before me. They give me comfort when everything is a mess. Knowing their strength of character and stubborness has made me keep going when I wanted to quit. So thanks to all those who mentored me and gave me the Priviledge to serve as well. Happy Veteran's Day wherever you may be.

1 comment: